Friday, March 22, 2013

Running Mantra

A few weeks ago I started running again and I am complete addicted! No lies. 
I cannot get home quick enough to start my run, and once I am done, I am ready to go back out.  It is kind of ridiculous. 

At first, I was naturally slow and I wasn't happy about it. I have never in my life run a mile with a 10 minute pace. So, rather than dwelling on it, I took action. I gave myself a few weeks with a 10+ minute pace over 3 miles to get back in the swing of things. I was afraid that if I pushed too hard, too early, I would hate my decision to start running again. 
Running view on a  cold, rainy day
This week, two weeks later, I decided it was time to start pushing myself. I was well versed, my body was acclimated, and I had no reason to lollygag anymore. 

I decided that I would push myself  hard for one mile. I needed to prove to myself that I could still run a mile in under 9 minutes, which to me is still too slow, and I did. I shaved almost 2 minutes off of my average pace. I finished in 8:41. However, I knew one mile was't going to be my issue. I was worried that if I continued to run 3+ miles that I would maintain my 10+ minute pace. Gag. 
Run put me on my behind. 
Yesterday, I set out on my run, relaxed, and no intentions of breaking records. When I finished my first I heard 9:30 flat. I was thrilled, but again, I firmly believed I would slow down. I quickly pushed those thoughts to the side. I mentally did not want to say, "hey, it is okay to walk," or "hey, it is okay to slow down." Instead, I repeated my new running mantra in my head:

"Push through. Dig deeper. You got this." 

I was not trying to push my body past exhaustion, but I did want my mind to finally match what I knew my body was capable of. When needed, I slowed down, but after a few paces I repeated my mantra and picked my pace back up. Doing so I finished a 5k in 29:54 or 9:40 a mile. I was ecstatic. 

I still have a long way to go. But I know my running mantra will help me mentally push through to my goal and during other events, like my Spartan Race tomorrow. 
New England Spartan Sprint 2012
At the finish line with my dad by my side

What is your mantra when working out?

No comments:

Post a Comment