Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tales from my Kitchen: Spicy Kale Chips

So, it is about time that I start sharing the tales from my kitchen. This topic may explode a little this week as I am trying to get back on the right track with eating pretty clean. Some of these post will be a flop, some very successful. Whichever way it leans, I will give you my praises or suggested changes on the dish!

Without further ado: 

Spicy Kale Chips

Lately I have been in search of the perfect healthy snack to munch on while sitting at work or watching TV. I was walking through Harris Teeter and Kale just started screaming my name. I knew immediately what must be done. I grabbed a few stems, finished my shopping and made my way home. Except, I then had no desire to prepare and cook the kale chips.

They sat in my fridge for about a week. 

They waited. I waited. What was I waiting for? Them to cook themselves? The perfect recipe to come to mind? Was I afraid they were going to be awful? 

The only question I could answer was the last one. 
A little over a year ago I was visiting my newlywed friends, A&L, and we decided to make kale chips. We really had no clue what we were doing, but they turned out pretty darn good; and we devoured them.

I still cannot answer those other questions. 

So I just decided to suck it up and make my kale chips. Have I mentioned how easy they are to make? I had no reason to postpone this kitchen date for so long. 

So, here is what you will need:

  • Kale-1 bunch (If you grocery store sales by the stem, I would suggest 6)
  • EVOO-2 tablespoon
  • Garlic powder-3/4 teaspoon
  • Cayenne pepper-1/2 teaspoon (If you do not like spicy, cut in half)
  • Salt-1/4 teaspoon
First:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare Kale:
Remove stems, and tear into desired sized pieces
(Note: A&L and I did not remove the stems a year ago. Big mistake!)
Next:
In a bowl, lightly coat kale with EVOO, I suggest using your hands to toss around. Then add in garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt
Finally:
Spread kale evening onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper
Bake:
Bake for about ten minutes, or until crispy and lightly brown on the edges. 
Enjoy!


 I seriously love this dish. There are endless seasoning options, always allowing for new flavors. I favorite thing? It is healthy, and satisfying! 

Have you ever tried kale chips? How did you season them?

No comments:

Post a Comment